Do you have a long term health condition? Discover new ideas and techniques on our free course
People from across Kirklees with long term health conditions are being invited by NHS Kirklees to join the successful ‘Expert Patients Programme’.
The course, which is free, provides a set of tried and tested skills which have been shown to lead to many benefits for people with long term health conditions – helping people feel better, taking more in control of their lives and even returning to work.
During the course participants will learn new ideas and techniques about:
• managing symptoms and way of improving well being
• dealing with anger, fear, frustration, isolation, fatigue and depression
• making choices and making plans that work for individuals
• better breathing and how to relax
• healthy eating, nutrition and how to build up levels of fitness, flexibility and strength
• how to communicate more effectively and problem solving skills to use in every day life
The Expert Patients Programme is led by people with long term health conditions themselves so they understand what it can be like to live with a medical condition. It is supported by local healthcare professionals who recognise the benefits of the course. Anyone with a long term health condition can refer themselves on to this free course.
Joanne Gould, Expert Patient Programme Coordinator, NHS Kirklees said: “Courses will be running throughout the year across Kirklees and we are encouraging people with long term health conditions, or those people looking after someone with a long term health condition, to take part in the programme. Each weekly session lasts for 2.5 hours and runs over 7 weeks.”
The next course is due to start on Wednesday 13th June at the Brian Jackson Centre Huddersfield and light refreshments will be available. To book a place on this course or for further details please contact Julie Lawes on 01484 464440